- The ESCAPE-22 meeting will take place in London, UK (17-20 June 2012).
- Nagore Sabio moved to Imperial College London for a PhD European stay.
- Dr. Diego Oliva joined SUSCAPE for a post doctoral work.
- SUSCAPE group attended the Mediterranean Congress XII.
- Gonzalo Guillén and Robert Brunet attended the AIChE Meeting that took place in Minneapolis.
- Dr. Gabriela Corsano from INITEC was on a sabatical stay of three months at the DEQ of URV.
- Robert Brunet attended the PASI Course that took place in Brazil.
- Professor Ignacio Grossmann from Carniege Mellon University was on a sabatical stay of one months at the DEQ of URV. Check the new by yourself!
- ESCAPE 21: The congress took place this year in Grecee. Laureano Jiménez and Andrew Kostin was in charge of presenting our works Robert Brunet have appeared in the newspaper "Diari de Tarragona" talking about his PhD and life experience. Check the new by yourself!
- Ekaterina Antipova was the winner of the 9th PhD Poster Exhibition of URV of 1st year PhD.
- Robert Brunet was the 3rd place of the 9th PhD Poster Exhibition of URV of 2nd year PhD.
- Nazli Yasar joined SUSCAPE for a Master Project on the optimal designo f absorption systems.
- Mariana Matos joined SUSCAPE for a Master Project on the study of the economic and environmental impact of different biofuel processes.
- Eduardo Muñoz joined SUSCAPE for a research laboratory on the biodiesel production from microalgae.
- Pedro J. Copado, presented his master thesis titled "Development of a hybrid metaheuristic fort he efficient solution of strategic supply chain managment problems".
- Gonzalo Guillén, Carlos Pozo and Nagore Sabio attended the AIChE Meeting that took place in Salt Lake City.
- Daniel Cortés joined SUSCAPE for a Master Project on the optimal designo f thermodynamic cycles.
- Ismael Linares joined SUSCAPE for a Master Project on the heat integration in Chemical plants.
- Ekaterina Antipova joined SUSCAPE for a PhD on the design of disalination plants.
- Berhane Grebesslasie persented his PhD Thesis titled "Optimization of environmentally friendly solar assisted absorption cooling systems".
- Dr. Jose Egea, did an stay in the URV and he gave a course of Matlab, for the reserach group and the resto f the department.
- Edmond Edhove joined SUSCAPE for a Summer Internship on the environmental analysis of a hydrogen supply chain in Spain.
- ESCAPE 20: The congress took place this year in Italy. Laureano Jiménez and Berhane Grebesslasie was in charge of presenting our works.
- Robert Brunetpassed the qualifiers and were oficially admitted in the PhD program.
- Kartik S Kumar joined SUSCAPE for a Summer Internship on the development of a Non sorting genetic algorithm (NSGA2).
- Antoni Miró, master student of the group presented his bachelro thesis titled "Desenvolupament d'un mètode híbrid de simulació i optimització per la minimització de l'impact ambiental de bioprocessos".
- Dr. Angel Irabienfrom Universidad de Cantabria visitted our group and gave research seminars on life cycle assessment.
- Pedro J. Copado joined SUSCAPE for a PhD on the implementation of new optimization tools to be applied in chemical engineering.
- Carmen Torres joined SUSCAPE for a PhD on the development of new design procedures for the environmentally conscious design of chemical processes.
- The SUSCAPE group has opened two new PhD positions in the areas of sustainable process design and global optimization.
- Gonzalo attended the AIChE Meeting that took place in Nashville.
- Gonzalo gave a seminar in Carnegie Mellon University and talked about the research we are currently conducting in the SUSCAPE group (see the slides here)
October 2009Pedro Copado joined SUSCAPE for a PhD on the implementation of new optimization tools to be applied in chemical engineering.
- Dr. Iiro Harjunkoski from ABB, and Dr. Sebastian Sager, from University of Heidelberg visitted our group and gave research seminars on optimization.
- Robert Brunet joined SUSCAPE for a PhD on mixed-integer dynamic optimization (MIDO) applied to the synthesis of biotechnological processes.
- Nagore and Carlos passed the qualifiers and were oficially admitted in the PhD program.
- Professor Miguel Bagajewicz from University of Oklahoma was on a sabatical stay of two months at the DEQ of URV.
- Andrey Kostin joined SUSCAPE for a PhD on hybrid simulation-optimization methods applied to process synthesis.
- Professor Luis Puigjaner, from UPC, visited us and gave a seminar on optimization of chemical supply chains.
- On Friday the 3rd of April, we will have the visit of our distinguished guest Professor Zarko Olujic from Delft University of Technology TUD in the Netherlands. We are planning to host Professor Olujic in a group meeting at the same day.
- We had a join meeting with the GREA research
group from University of Lleida. Both groups presented their research
activities and we discussed about future potential
- Irene Bonadies from University Federico II of Naples (Italy) joined SUSCAPE for a short research stay during her PhD.
- The join meeting between SUSCAPE and the BBG & NBG groups took place in February. Another meeting is expected in the close future.
- The American Institue of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) has recognised the excellence of the educational model of the ETSEQ in the Februrary edition of the magazime Chemical Engineering Progress. In particular, the article highlights the effort made during more than a decade by the ETSEQ to incorporate soft skills such as team-work or leadership into a novel teaching methodology that helps students to become well-prepared professionals.
- Congratulations! Laureano and Gonzalo have appeared in the newspaper "Diari de Tarragona" talking about the desing of sustainable processes and the optimization of energetic resources. Check the new by yourself!
- Dieter was an invited speaker in the "Jornada sobre aprovechamiento geotérmico" (Journey on Use of Geothermal Energy) the 22th of January 2009 in Barcelona.
- The AECI project in collaboration with the University of Tucuman (Argentina) entitled 'Application of simulation techniques and life cycle analysis for the environmental study of the ethanol production from sugar cane' has been approved by the Spanish Government.
- John T. Farrell from ExxonMobil visited us and attended our monthly meeting, where all the SUSCAPE PhD students performed presentations about their ongoing research
- AIChE Annual Meeting 2008: The congress took place this year in Philadelphia, and again Laure was in charge of presenting our works
- Fernando Mele visited SUSCAPE and gave a seminar about the production of bioethanol from sugar cane in Argentina.
- The work of Aaron Bojarski about LCA coupled with simulation was accepted in Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research.
- Berhane finished his paper about sustainable absorption cycles. The manuscript was submitted to Applied Energy.
- Nagore Sabio joined SUSCAPE for a PhD on sustainability using mathematical programming and LCA.
- Carlos Pozo joined SUSCAPE for a PhD on process systems using mathematical programming.
- Albert Sorribas and Gonzalo Guillén are writing a joint paper about optimization of GMA systems applied to metabolic engineering via outer approximation strategies.
- SUSCAPE has been awarded a research project funded by the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science (MEC). The project will focus on developing novel decision support tools for the optimal design and planning of sustainable processes.
- Laure made a short stay in Tucumán in the PSE group of Fernando Mele.
- PASI: Pan American course took place in Mar de Plata (Argentina)
- University of Pretoria with T. Majozi. Project MAE.